Events Calendar

Friday, February 9, 2007

Hearing on Public Financing on Feb. 7th

On Wednesday, February 7th, I travelled to Olympia to represent Democracy for Snohomish County at the House State Government and Tribal Affairs Committee hearing on the various public financing bills that have been referred to them.


Before the hearing, there was a rally and press conference. Bill Moyer of the Backbone Campaign was onhand with the group's well known spine puppet to set the atmosphere. In the following photo, Bill is leading the parade past the Capital Building.




The group at the rally was treated to pep talks from three Prime Sponsors of public financing legislation, Rep. Shay Schual-Berke (with megaphone in the photo below), Rep. Mark Miloscia, and Sen. Jim Kastama.




After the rally, the group headed into the Committee Hearing Room, filling it beyond capacity. Rather than give you a complete blow by blow, I will direct your attention to TVW to see the video of the entire two hour hearing. The bills discussed were 1186 and 1589 (Judicial), 1360 (Comprehensive), and 1551 (Local). There was much ground covered and, as you will see, there is considerable resistance from the Republican side of the aisle. I was pleased to be able to testify on behalf of the local bill (I come in at the one hour, 47 minute mark). Because time was severely restricted by the time I got there and I had really prepared to speak about the comprehensive bill, I wasn't at my best but it was good practice for what I hope will be many more efforts on behalf of our fine organization.


[UPDATE] For more photos and additional information on the day, Dina Johnson has posted her account at Washblog


Peace,
Chad Shue
Vice-chair, Democracy for Snohomish County

No comments: